They refer to Carbon Monoxide (CO) as the “Invisible” killer. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death if inhaled.
Carbon monoxide is produced by burning fuel. This means any fuel-burning appliance in your home is a potential CO source.
When your heater is kept in good working order, it will produce little CO. Improperly operating appliances can produce fatal CO concentration levels in your home.
According to the Centers for Disease and Control, reported in January 2009, Carbon monoxide is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in US, with more than 20,000 people hospitalized and nearly 500 killed each year.
The initial symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to the flu (but without the fever), they include:
Proper installation, operation, and maintenance of fuel-burning appliances in the home are the most important factors in reducing the risk of CO poisoning.
**Operate all portable generators outdoors and away from open doors, windows, and vents that could allow CO to come indoors.
Having your heating system inspected and serviced annually will ensure your system is operating properly.
Have DelFera Heating & Cooling install a battery-operated CO alarm in the hallway near your bedrooms.
Call Anytime 610-494-1114